Dual Lock adhesive tape 3M
- Openable and reclosable system
- Excellent mechanical resistance
- Quick and economical assembly
- High performance and long lasting adhesion
Description of 3M Dual lock
Dual lock adhesive tape is a technical product developed by the company 3M for openable and reclosable assembly. Its mushroom shaped stems ensure great resistance against wrenching and shearing. Unlike standard self-gripping adhesive tapes, the 3M dual lock product can bind to itself. It can easily be cut to the desired dimension and can replace conventional mechanical fasteners (screws, rivets…) in many industrial applications. A simple audible "click" ensures that the closure is carried out.
The Dual Lock adhesives are available in 3 different stem densities :
- Type 400 - 400 stems/inch² or 62 stems/cm²
- Type 250 - 200 stems/inch² or 39 stems/cm²
- Type 170 – 170 stems/inch² or 26 stems/cm²
Depending on the chosen density, it is not advisable to, for example, do a type 400 assembly with another type 400. The best performance will be achieved with an assembly of type 250 over 400. Consult us for a technical assessment !
Here are the main benefits of this openable / reclosable system patented by 3M :
- Resistance in temperature of -40°C to + 120°C
- Resistance to plasticizers
- Vibration absorption and high performance thanks to VHB adhesive
- Invisible assembly
- An audible "click" when closing the assembly
- More than 1,000 openings and closings without an effect on performance
- Mechanical performance up to 12 times higher than traditional hook and loop fasteners
Some advice for choosing the best openable / reclosable system ?
- Choose an acrylic adhesive for applications that require resistance to plasticizers and to temperature
- For your operation teams, some references exist in dispensers and die-cut pieces
- The density of the stems chosen allows you to control the mechanical resistance of the assembly
Some examples of applications for 3M Dual Lock ?
- Creation of colour charts and sample cases
- Fixing machine-tool housing
- Mounting ducts and access hatches
- Attaching removable signage
- Manufacturing of seats for the aeronautics industry
- Fixing cushions that must be disinfected regularly
- Fixing foam in a sample case
- Fixing electronic material in vehicles (taxis, worksite vehicles...)