Double-sided foam tape
- Suitable for rough or uneven surfaces
- Shock and vibration absorber
- Exist in many widths and colours
Description of the double-sided foam tapes
The double-sided foam tapes can be used for many assembly applications such as bonding mirrors, indoor and outdoor signage… Their thickness is suitable for different levels of flatness of the material to assemble, from 0.5 mm to more than 6 mm. The backing material of the doubled-sided foam tape varies and can be chosen according to your application: PE foam, PU foam, PVC foam…
Double-sided foam tapes offer :
- Thermal sealing between cold metals and hot plastics
- Shock absorption : Density between 30 Kg/m3 to more than 600 Kg/m3
- Absorption of vibrations and noise
- Compensation of flatness levels : Make sure the deficit of contact does not exceed 30% of the total thickness of the adhesive tape, otherwise it will create a permanent constraint that will weaken the assembly.
The different types of foam tape
Depending on your application, here are the main materials:
- Reticulated closed cell polyethylene foam : Can be fire retardant, has good resistance to water – acids – alcohol, at a temperature of (80 - 100°C), UV resistant, economical product.
- Micro-cell PVC foam : Self-extinguishable. very good resistance to ageing, good resistance to water, acids, alkalis, mineral oils.
- Semi-open cell polyurethane foam : Very good liaison with adhesives.
- Neoprene foam : Self-extinguishable, good fire retardant, good resistance to hydrocarbons, good resistance to air, UV rays, oils, acids.
- Closed-cell EPDM rubber foam : Excellent resistance to air, shape memory.
How to choose a double-sided foam adhesive ?
- For sealing, choose closed-cell foam that prevents the passage of air, gas and humidity.
- For simple applications, use polyethylene foam which will be more economical.
- For demanding applications in regards to temperature, high temperature foam with acrylic adhesive wille be more suitable.
Some examples of applications of double-sided foam ?
- Fixing a mirror in a bathroom or a humid room
- Optical double-sided adhesive pads for holding the lens during handling
- Sealing panels and various joints
- Fixing illuminated signs
- Fixing signs and stiffeners
- Installing nameplates or signalling
- Exhibition stand assembly